Mobile Devices at UVA
Configure an iOS Device for UVA
Smartphone & Mobile Device Configuration Instructions
Connect Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to a UVA Wireless Network
- Option 1: Auto-configure for encrypted cavalier wireless & the VPN (requires a passcode)
- Option 2: Manually configure for unencrypted wahoo wireless (does not require a passcode)
Other Things You Can Do With Your iOS Device
- Connect to the UVA VPN on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- Troubleshoot iOS connection problems
- Configure your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch for your UVA email account
- Configure your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch for UVA’s LDAP ”People Search” (must have connection to the UVA Network)
Option 1: Auto-Configure for Encrypted cavalier Wireless & the VPN
The Network Setup Tool for iOS devices will automatically configure your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch for you. It will provide you with a digital certificate in order to connect to UVA's encrypted cavalier wireless network.
- You can re-run this Tool whenever you need to renew your certificate (once per year) and it will re-configure your device for cavalier.
- ITS recommends you apply all hardware and software updates and patches to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch before you begin the connection process.
Requirements & Policies Associated with the Auto-Setup Tool/Connecting to cavalier
Before you proceed with configuring for cavalier and the VPN, make sure you can comply with the following requirements:
- Passcode Policy for Security: A digital certificate is required to connect to UVA’s encrypted cavalier wireless network. But with one installed, your identity can easily be stolen along with your mobile device, if it is not locked. You are therefore required to set a passcode and auto-lock on your device if you connect to the cavalier network.
- Once configured, anytime your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch has been idle for a set amount of time, it will auto-lock. You will have to enter a passcode to release the auto-lock and begin using your device again.
- You can set the time interval of your choice on your device, but for security, the maximum length of time permitted is 15 minutes.
- ITS recommends choosing a 4-digit numerical passcode for ease of use.
- The auto-setup tool will configure your device to erase after 10 consecutive bad passcode login attempts, so set a passcode that you can remember! After the first several incorrect entries, your device will become temporarily disabled for longer and longer intervals, until it no longer works.
- If your device does get wiped, you may restore it via iTunes on the computer with which you last synched. For more info, see Apple’s articles, “Wrong passcode results in red disabled screen” and/or “Unable to update/restore.”
- To set an auto-lock passcode for your device:
- On your device, tap Settings, then General, then Passcode Lock.
- Create and confirm a 4-digit numerical passcode of your choosing.
Auto-Setup Tool Instructions for UVA’s Encrypted cavalier Wireless Network & VPN
- Before you begin, ensure you can comply with requirements and policies. In order to connect to UVA’s encrypted cavalier wireless network, you are required to set a passcode for your security.
- Returning to UVA? If you are re-running the Tool to renew your digital certificate (not for first-time setup), remove your old profile first, before installing a new one. Obviously, if you are doing first time setup, skip this step!
- Connect your device to a network—if you’re on Grounds, connect to Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless (preferred over a 3G or 4G signal from a vendor). To do this:
- On your device, turn Wi-Fi ON, if it is not already. (To check, tap Settings, then Wi-Fi, to get the ON/OFF switch where you can toggle this setting.)
- Then, to connect to the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless network, tap Settings, then Wi-Fi, then choose the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless network, and tap Join.
- Open Safari, the Web browser on your device.
- If you are on the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless network: Try to visit any website or refresh the existing webpage. You should be automatically redirected to UVA Network Setup. Tap the Continue button under the Faculty, Staff, Students section to open the UVA Network Setup for iOS devices page.
- If for some reason you are not auto-directed, or if you are connected to a 3G/4G network: Manually go to the URL:
- Tap “Generate Your Configuration Profile” to begin running the Web application. It will automatically configure your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch for you by:
- Follow the prompts and enter the required personal information to register your device and obtain a personal digital certificate. You will need to enter a UVA password. When prompted, enter the 4-digit numerical passcode you created per the passcode policy requirement.
- Once the profile has been installed successfully, test your wireless configuration.
Make sure you are now connected to UVA’s encrypted cavalier wireless network (and not the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless network).
- Tap Settings, then Wi-Fi, and select the correct network. (You may now need to tell your device to “Forget” the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless network).
- If there isn’t a check next to cavalier, tap it to connect. (If cavalier is not listed, you are not within range of the network.)
- Open Safari and try to visit another, non-UVA webpage.
If you encounter problems, see troubleshooting connection problems on your iOS device and/or Network Setup Tool troubleshooting, or contact the UVA Help Desk.
Option 2: Manually Configure for Unencrypted wahoo Wireless
First, Register Your iOS Device on the UVA Network...
- Determine the Wi-Fi Address of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, so you can register it. On your device:
- Tap Settings, then General, then About.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make a note of the Wi-Fi Address of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
- Register the Wi-Fi Address of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch on the UVA network. On your computer:
- Go to the UVA Network Registration website.
- Click the Already Registered link.
- Under Faculty, Staff, and Students, click the Enter button. If needed, log into NetBadge.
- Click the Register a device for network access link.
- In the Physical/Hardware Address field, type the Wi-Fi Address from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, which you just looked up.
- From the This is a wireless device dropdown menu, select Yes.
- From the Contact Group dropdown menu, select No Group.
- Leave the Asset Tag (optional) field blank.
- Leave the Serial Number (optional) field blank.
- To differentiate this device from your other registered devices, in the Identifying Notes (e.g. Make/Model, Location) field, type some identifying information such as your UVA computing ID (example: mst3k) and either iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
- Click the Submit Registration button. It may take 5-10 minutes for the registration to take place.
...Then, Configure Your iOS Device for UVA’s Unencrypted wahoo Wireless Network
- Register your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch on the UVA network following the steps above. Also, ensure you have applied all hardware and software updates and patches to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch before you begin the connection process.
- Configure your device to access the wahoo network. To do this:
- In an area where UVA’s unencrypted wahoo network is available (you will see the encrypted cavalier wireless network listed anytime you are in range of wahoo, even though wahoo may not display), from the Home screen of your device, tap Settings, then Wi-Fi, then Other.
- In Network Name field, type wahoo.
- In the Security field, indicate none.
- At the bottom right of your screen, tap Join.
- Test your configuration. Make sure you are in an area where UVA’s unencrypted wahoo network is available (again, you will see cavalier listed anytime you are in range of wahoo), and then attempt to connect.
- After you have configured your device to use UVA’s unencrypted wahoo wireless network, your iOS device will autodetect the network from then on.
- Should your device fail to autodetect the network when you are within range, you will need to manually connect by tapping Settings, then Wi-Fi, then wahoo. (If wahoo is not listed, you are not within range of the network.)
If you encounter problems getting connected to the UVA network, see Troubleshooting connection problems on your iOS device, or contact the UVA Help Desk.
Other Things You Can Do with Your iOS Device
Connect to the UVA VPN on Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
To connect to the UVA VPN, please follow our instructions on installing and configuring the Cisco AnyConnect client for iOS.
Troubleshoot iOS Connection Problems
If you encounter problems getting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch connected to the UVA network, see troubleshooting connection problems on your iOS device, and/or Network Setup Tool troubleshooting, or contact the UVA Help Desk.
Configure Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch for Your UVA Email Account
You may wish to configure your iOS device to connect to your UVA email account, if you haven’t done so already.
Configure Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch for UVA’s LDAP
Optionally, you may want to configure your iOS device for the University of Virginia LDAP “People Search”, as well.