Mobile Devices at UVa
Configure an Android for UVa Wireless
How to Connect Your Android to UVa’s wahoo WiFi Network
ITS supports Android connections to UVa’s unencrypted wahoo wireless network. Connections to cavalier are currently unsupported.
To Connect Your Android to wahoo
You can complete all steps directly on your Android, or you can do your Android’s network registration from a computer:
Troubleshooting Problems Connecting Androids to UVa WiFi
- Is WiFi currently turned on? Check, and enable if necessary, in your Android Settings.
- Is your device registered at UVa? Before connecting, all devices must first be registered:
- Register directly from your Android device
- Register your Android using your computer (opens in a new window) After registering, you may need to wait 5-10 minutes for the registration to complete, and/or reboot your device, and/or toggle Wi-Fi off, then on again, before it will successfully connect.
- Is your Android connecting to Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless? You can do very little on the WiFi network called Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless besides register your device. After first-time setup, your device is still attempting to connect to this network, tell it to “forget” Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless and select wahoo WiFi instead.
- Are you trying to connect to cavalier WiFi? Connecting Androids to cavalier WiFi is currently unsupported because of the inconsistent way Androids handle digital certificates across devices and manufacturers. Connect to wahoo instead.
- If you are within range of wahoo, is your Android failing to detect it? After successfully connecting, your Android should autodetect wahoo anytime it is available (cavalier will be listed anytime you’re in range of wahoo, though wahoo may not display). If wahoo does not appear among the list of available WiFi networks, it may be because the unencrypted wahoo wireless network SSID is not broadcast like cavalier. Some Androids are known to have difficulty connecting to non-broadcast wireless networks. Check with your Android manufacturer or wireless service provider.