UVA Identity Token Authentication
Installation Instructions for SafeNet eToken UVA Identity Token
Installing SafeNet eTokens in Windows Supported Versions
1. Clean up certificates and install the UVA High Assurance Root Certificate using the UVA Network Setup Tool.
- Install the UVA Network Setup Tool.
- Open the Network Setup Tool, but do not click the Next
- Instead, as shown below, clean up expired and invalid certificates by selecting Tools, then Cleanup Certificates.
- This is the only safe way to clean up old certificates.
- Install the UVA High Assurance Certificates by selecting Tools, then
High Assurance Certificate Support -> Install UVA High Assurance Root
Note: Do not select Download and Install iKey Driver. As of April, 2012 there is a new download location for all Token software. This option will be removed from the next version of the UVA Network Setup Tool.
2. Allow Windows to Install the UVA Identity Token Driver.
The SafeNet eToken uses the Windows Update service for a "driverless" installation in Windows Vista and later.‡ To allow Windows to download the smartcard components needed for your Token, make sure you allow Windows Update to install drivers when it detects a new device.
- Previous versions of token software must be uninstalled before continuing. Use Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Windows Control Panel to uninstall any Rainbow or SafeNet software. Reboot when all previous software is uninstalled.
- Insert the Token into a USB port.
- Wait until windows has installed the driver and reports the device is available for use.
- If there are errors, be sure you are connected to a network with access to the internet, remove the token and then re-insert the token.
3. Set Your UVA Identity Token Password.
Required: You must change the Token's initial default password. If you have not already changed the password when you picked up your token, look up the initial password.
- Think about a password you will be able to easily remember. The password must be minimum 6 characters
and include at least 3 of these:
- uppercase letters
- lowercase letters
- special characters
- Insert your token into the USB interface and wait a few seconds.
- Press Control-Alt-Delete and select Change A Password.
- Click the Other Credentials button and then click SmartCard PIN Change.
- In the Smart Card PIN Change dialog, enter the token's initial password (if changing for the first time) or, optionally, enter your existing password if you have already set your own password. Then, enter and re-enter your new self-selected password for your token. Click the OK circle (with the white arrow).
- You can repeat this process in the future as needed to change the password for your UVA Identity Token.
Warning: If you enter your UVA Identity Token password incorrectly ten times in a row, the token will lock itself permanently. In that event, you will have to return your token to the Access Management Office and have it reprogrammed with new credentials.
5. Test Your UVA Identity Token.
Insert your UVA Identity Token device into the USB interface and wait a few seconds, then start the UVA Identity Token test.
6. Install and use VPN client software with the JointVPN.
- Insert your UVA Identity Token into the USB interface and wait a few seconds. The few seconds of delay allows Windows to register the digital certificate stored on your hardware token with the operating system. This registration must take place each time you start the VPN client software.
- Follow the instructions on the UVA VPN Service site to download and install the VPN client on your computer.