Getting Started with UVA Box
1. Get Your UVA Box Account
Members of the UVA community who are eligible for a UVA Box account can get one easily:
2. Upload Your Files to UVA Box
Uploading your files to Box is easy:
- Simple upload method: Open one window with your computer’s local files, then simply drag-and-drop them into UVA Box.
- Have multiple folders or large files? Use the “Upload Folder” option. Or, if you are an advanced user with many files to upload, use the Box FTP server, but a you must set up an external password for that.
Files uploaded? See How to Manage Your Files in Box.
3. Install Box Sync to Keep Your Files Synchronized
Ensure the files stored locally on your computer stay automatically synched with the ones stored online, and have Box appear as another “drive” or folder on your computer which you can save files to. To install Sync:
- Download and install the appropriate version of Box Sync for your operating system.
- Authenticate for first-time setup.
- Provide your computing ID@virginia.edu.
- The Sync app will open a UVA NetBadge login screen; provide your password.
- With Sync now installed, you can easily save files on your computer into Box and you’ll no longer need to log into the Box Web interface to access your files.
For more info, view Box’s info on using Sync
4. Collaborate & Send Files As Links (Not Email Attachments!)
Now you can start sending out your files as links, instead of as large email attachments!
- Just click the Share button to the right of the file or folder name you wish to share.
- Click on "Access" before clicking "Send" if you wish to limit who has access to your file, create a custom URL to rename the link for greater clarity, or set an expiration for the link so collaborators cannot view it after a certain date.
You can even lock a file for editing so collaborators can “check in” and “check out” files and no one overwrites the work of anyone else!
5. Configure Your Mobile Device for UVA Box
Access the files you have stored in UVa Box on your smartphone and/or tablet:
- View our FAQ: How do I get Box on my phone or mobile device?
- For more info, check out the Box mobile community and search for you device there.
How to Manage Your Files in Box
When you first log into UVA Box, you’ll see a screen like this. Your files will appear below the Files and Folders tab:
- To edit your files without ever leaving your browser, saving the step of uploading and downloading files, install Box Edit. View Box’s video on using Box Edit.
- To take actions such as move, copy, or delete, click on the down arrow to the right of the file or folder name, next to the Share button. Or, just right-click on the file or folder to display these options.
Follow UVA Box Best Practices
- Associate your other email address(es) with your UVA Box account so that if someone ever shares a file with you but doesn't use your computing ID@virginia.edu, you can still see and edit it. See our FAQ, How do I add my other email address(es) to my Box account?
- Review your email notification preferences to ensure you do not get too much email from Box. See our FAQ: How do I change my notification preferences?.
- Be aware of your UVA Box account limits—the restrictions in terms of contents, quota, file size, etc. You may also want to know What happens to my files when I graduate, retire, or leave the University?
- Review the UVA Box FAQs, particularly the UVA Box Best Practices and Box’s User Guide of Best Practices.